After reviewing the work I have done so far, I have decided to chose one diary instead of using text from a range as this would make more sense when displaying the images. Since then I have been working on putting the right image with the right text. I did not want the text to be completely random. Although it would have still had a wildlife and explorer feel, I felt that the text should link to what is shown.
So I have been looking more at individual words from the diary, as well as developing on font and colour.
I have also tried making some words larger.
Visually the work with a paragraph of text with enlarged words looks pleasing but I am uncertain of having much text as it might be a lot for the audience to take in. Therefore I began to cut down on this and playing with sentences.
The idea was to have fonts that gives us a reminder of an old diary. The initial idea was to use a type writer font that is still readable. For the image just above, I played with another font that had a bigger weight and was more dynamic in shape. However I felt this to be quite distracting. The colour I do like because it was influenced be the colour palette of the photo.
The image with the blue text was another experimentation with colour. Because I was focusing more on earthy colours, I wanted to try with brighter ones.
After Tuesdays tutorial, the feedback was positive on my idea. I now have to develop the project more, as well as how they will be displayed as final pieces.
The things I need to develop is text and composition. For example some words could be larger to communicate something important. The colour of the text needs to compliment the image as well as being able to be readable by the audience. I am still working with what specific text I will be using for each photo, as it might be easier to use one diary or one specific person so that it is simple for others to understand. The way in which I display the work will also have to understandable.
The colour was important as I wanted there to be more of an earthy tone to represent the zoo and its enclosures. Not only this, but I wanted to show an old diary effect that are similar to the old pages.
The layout too, is inspired by how a person would write in a diary or a journal. Their thoughts would often be written in a carefree manner.
I came to a standstill because I was unsure if I wanted to just showcase the photos or add text with them. I had to think of things that linked or reminded me of the zoo. I began to think of it’s history and the types of people that work there or have had an impact on discovering new findings.
I decided to find diaries written,and quotes, by explorers or zoologist and take out sections to place with my photos. A mood is set when the naturalistic image with text that involves an adventure or facts/opinions about the outside world.
The zoo is home to thousands of species from different parts of the world. This means their habitat will vary from one another. I am intrigued by the enclosures and mixture of elements that are in the animals homes. The focus will be on pattern and texture.
Beforehand, I was simply taking photos of the enclosures but I felt that the sections could be cropped to emphasise the theme of patterns and textures. I have altered to the colour so that it has earthy tone which also gives an ageing effect.
Opened in 1828, London Zoo is the worlds oldest scientific zoo. It opened to the public officially in 1848, as it was originally only being used for collections for scientific studies.
London zoo has given us a brief that allows as to take out own approach of the attraction. I was particularly instead in the enclosures and want to bring them in to the project.
I am personally interested in the history of a subject, so I came across old images/articles of zoos in general. Visually, I am fond of the vintage look of the photographs, as they reflect the past of when zoos were first started. Just looking at the newspaper images, I like the combination of text and image.